- 4 or 5 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup natural no sugar added organic applesauce
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour or brown rice flour or oat flour (I used Bobs Red Mill oat flour)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mash the bananas in a medium bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.
- Add the mashed bananas, applesauce, and vanilla to the flour mixture. Mix just until incorporated.
- Spray your 8 or 9″round pans with non-stick cooking spray or coconut oil.
- Spread the batter into the bottom of both pans.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
Raw Cashew Icing
Makes about 1 c. of icing.
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces, soaked in water for a few hours
- 1/4 c. water (or enough so it blends well)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch salt
- Drain cashews and place in vitamix/blender.
- Add all the other ingredients and blend until smooth adding water to get icing consistency.
- Place in fridge and cool for a few hours before using.
- Spoon it onto the cakes and try not to eat it with a spoon!
This is the perfect cake for a one year old. They don’t need sugar and since this entire cake has only 1 Tbsp maple syrup and bananas and applesauce to sweeten it, its perfect. Both my kids shoved it in their mouth and loved every bite. Enjoy!
Top it with some fresh fruit or design a “1” on the top with fruit!