- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 14.5 oz can diced or whole tomatoes
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cup red lentils, rinsed well
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp lime juice (optional)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro (optional)
- Heat coconut oil in medium soup pot over medium high heat. Add the cumin and mustard seeds and sauté until they begin to pop.
- Immediately add the onion, ginger, turmeric, cumin and sea salt. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes more, breaking up tomatoes, if used whole tomatoes.
- Add the water and lentils and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes or until it has thickened ad lentils are cooked. Add the lime juice and cilantro, if using.
- Season with salt and more lime, if needed, and remove the cinnamon stick. Serve warm.
Recipe from Blum Center for Health. www.blumcenterforhealth.com